Setting alias and color for Umbrel
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Want to set an alias for your Umbrel Node? Follow these steps:
- Log in to your node using SSH. Usually this means opening a terminal and typing ssh -t email@example.com. The user is umbrel. Default password is moneyprintergobrrr for older versions of Umbrel. New versions use the dashboard passord. When typing your password you usually see nothing (for safety).
- (Optional) change your default password by typing passwd
- Open the config file. In newer Umbrel versions sudo nano umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/lnd.conf . In older Umbrel versions sudo nano umbrel/lnd/lnd.conf . lnd is small for LND, there are no i's. It will ask you again for your password (same as before), and you will again not see you entering the password.
- You are now in the editor. Add alias=SOMENAME. This must be added to the first paragraph. Somewhere below the block [Application Options], not in a different block.
- (Optional) set color=#ff0000 or any other hex color, on a new line, just below alias. find a nice color.
- You will see the commands you can give at the bottom. The caret ^ means CTRL button. ^X is eXit, so use CTRL-X to exit the file. Confirm you want to save the buffer using Y. Press enter for file name (don't change).
- After you have exited the editor look at the content of the file to confirm the changes. In newer Umbrel versions type cat umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd/lnd.conf . In older Umbrel versions type cat umbrel/lnd/lnd.conf .
- Then restart your Umbrel node. You can do this properly from the Umbrel web interface (Settings, Restart)
- IF you have public channels, it will take (max) 2 days for the new node to become visible on 1ml.com.
- If you have RTL installed you should see the new node name after a restart of RTL, or after logging in again. A node clean restart (using the web interface) should also restart RTL.
If your terminal freezes you may have pressed CTRL-S. Unfreeze by CTRL-Q.