Functionality of wallets
Wallet features might include:
- creating and closing a Lightning payment channel
- sending and receiving of Lightning payments
- refilling funds, funds pop-up
- punishing fraudulent payment publication
- integration with or connectivity to Watchtowers
- connectivity to Lightning exchanges
- atomic swaps
Be aware of and understand the difference between full and thin wallets. The differences between custodial and non-custodial wallets. The differences between open source and closed source wallets. Wallets can steal all all your funds. Do not use a wallet you do not trust. Always research a wallet (e.g. on the internet) before you install and use a wallet. Only use a wallet you trust.
Wallets can have access to, hold, and manage the private keys of your funds. Wallets can misuse these keys to fraudulently steal funds from you if you are not careful. See fraud to learn about how to avoid fraud.
- Build knowledge: Learn about Lightning.
- Build trust: Research a wallet to build trust before downloading it, installing it or using it.
- Start with small funds: Start with small funds to improve your knowledge and the trust in your wallet.
- Backup: Frequently backup your wallet. This is specific to your wallet, so check with your Lightning wallet provider.
- Use a Watchtower: Use a Watchtower to be vigilant on your behalf about your Lightning payment transactions
- Open the wallet regularly: This is specific to your wallet, so check with your Lightning wallet provider. Good wallets are vigilant and supervise your payment transactions and thereby can detect and also correct fraudulent payment transactions. You might have to open your wallet for this to happen.
List of Lightning wallets
Disclaimer: lightningwiki.net does not recommend any wallet(s) and is not responsible for the action(s) of any wallets. The use of any wallet is 100% at your risk. It is fully your responsibility. See dangers and risks.
|Wallet||Own your keys?||Desktop||Android||IOS||Open-source||Remarks|
|Lightning Labs app||Yes||Yes||Yes||by Lightning Labs, lnd frontend|
|Spark GUI||Yes||Yes||c-lightning frontend|
|Eclair wallet||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes||by ACINQ, Eclair frontend|
|lnd-gui||Yes||MacOS||No||No||Yes||by Alex Bosworth|
|Lightning Wallet||Yes||No||Yes||No||standalone SPV Bitcoin node|
|Rawtx ln wallet||?||?||Yes|
|Shango||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||lnd frontend, requires lnd node|
|Union7 lnd thin wallet||Yes||No||No||Yes||lnd front-end|
|Shock wallet||Yes||Yes, web||c-lightning frontend|
|Spark wallet||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||c-lightning frontend|
|Swift Lightning Project||No||Yes||No|
|Bitcoin Lightning Wallet||No(!)||No||Yes||No|
|Wallet of Satoshi||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||"Simplest wallet"|
|Joule||Yes||Yes, web||by Wallet of Satoshi, lnd frontend|
|Moneni||No||Yes, web||Web wallet|